Saturday, August 7, 2010

Dog Days of Summer

I was driving to work the other day through Ballard and I wasn’t having a particularly ideal morning. Not a bad morning but more or less feeling pretty apathetic. Yeah…apathy is a feeling I prefer to avoid, however, it happens at times and really gets me nowhere rather quickly.

As I was driving I spied a dog sitting patiently waiting with his owner to cross the street. This was a beautiful, sleek hunting dog – almost regal looking in stature. I could see that he had something in his mouth. As I drew closer, I was able to see that this gorgeous, elegant dog had a stuffed play toy in his mouth. Closer still, I was able to make out that it was a stuffed dog, legs akimbo and drooping from each side of the hunting dog’s jaw. The dog looked ecstatic to be out in the fresh morning air going for a walk with his master, his best friend in the whole wide world, stealing glances up at him with eager eyes and with his favorite toy in his mouth. His favorite toy in the whole wide world. The scene made me giggle and think, “Shouldn’t we all leave our homes in the morning, blissing in the fresh early morning air with our favorite toys in our mouths? Isn’t this how God intended us to live our lives?” I think, “Yes.” A resounding yes.

As I drove further, still tickled and giggling about the infectious dog, I noticed a few cars with doggy passengers, their shaggy heads hanging out the open windows, noses to the gentle cool breeze, eyes half-closed in delight and tongues bared.

Life can get pretty intense sometimes. I know I put exorbitantly high expectations on myself. And, when I feel as if I’m failing to meet them, I get really down on myself. Apathetic – as if, “What’s the use?”

But perhaps we should take a lesson from a dog. Live like a dog. Simply. Blissfully. Sharing our toys. Adoration in our eyes for life and our master. Appreciative. Happy.

2 comments: